Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies
YIELD: MAKES ABOUT 2 DOZEN COOKIES
Don’t substitute quick oats in this recipe; you’ll hate me because the cookies won’t look like the ones in the pictures. It’s old-fashioned rolled oats all the way here.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons butter (1 3/4 sticks), softened but still slightly cool
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. While oven is pre-heating do 12 jump lunges followed by 20 toe raises on the stairs.
- Line large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Do another set of Jump Lunges and Toe raises.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Do 5 Press Handstands
- Stand in releve’ the entire time. In a large bowl (of a stand mixer or with a handheld electric mixer), beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar together until just combined, about 20 seconds. Increase the mixer speed to medium and continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute longer. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low until well mixed, about 30 seconds.
- 5 more Press Handstands
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Add the flour mixture and mix until barely incorporated, 10-20 seconds. It’s ok if there are a few dry spots. Gradually add the oats and mix until well-combined, about 30 seconds to 1 minutes. If needed, give the dough a final stir with a wooden spoon to ensure that no flour pockets remain and that the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- 5 Push ups regular, 5 Push ups Narrow, 5 Push ups Wide, 5 Push ups “Beam hands”
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoon-sized mounds of dough and roll them to form balls. Place the cookies about 2 1/2-inches apart on the baking sheet(s) – about 8 cookies per sheet. They will spread quite a bit. Lightly press each cookie to about 3/4-inch thickness (I found after baking one sheet of these that I didn’t need to press them at all so use your best cookie judgment).
- While cookies are Baking 30 seconds hollow hold, 15 rocks, 15 V ups
- Repeat each side and arch.
- Bake 1 sheet of cookies at a time until the cookies are golden brown, edges are crisp, and centers are still very slightly soft, 13 to 16 minutes. Cooling the cookies completely on the baking sheet will yield crispier, more perfect cookies.
- Stretch Out While Cookies cool.